Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Can I Learn to Blog Again?

When I was on the Oracle Fusion Middleware A-Team, life was simple.  Simple for blogging, rather complicated and hectic for everything else.  I have been very proud of what Brian Eidelman and I were able to start at the Fusion Security Blog.  It has really grown into THE go to sight for information of Oracle IDM.  We started that blog almost four years ago....YIKES!

Two years ago, I left Oracle to join Vordel.  Initially, there was some blogging on the XML Gateway Guru blog, but quite quickly the demands of working in sales at a start-up was just TOO much.  I think there were two factors.  The first is that its a truly exhausting experience traveling and selling all over the country.  The last thing you want to do when you get back to the hotel room is share the cool tricks that you learned during the POC.  The other factor is that in a product sales role there is competition and customers and public talking about the situation at a "large seed manufacturer in the Midwest" just felt wrong.  You were either betraying the customer  or giving something to the competition.

Now as I set out on a new journey, I ask my self "Can I learn to blog Again?".  I do genuinely enjoy it, or should I say, have enjoyed it in the past.  Right now, I'm very interested in OAuth and other REST related security standards and how those converge and intersect with some of the existing WS-* standards.  I've been wondering quite a bit about what lessons if any can be learned from the adoption patterns of SOA and how they will be different for REST.   Lately, these topic have been on my customers' minds.  For Oracle IDM, we're probably all better off just reading the Fusion Security Blog, but I'm hopeful I'll have something to add to the broader conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment